post circle

Prioritize.

6.06.2012

Photobucket

Dannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng. DUUUUUUUUUUUUDE. I know, I know. I think now is where I need to throw in that #SMH you see so often. Shake your heads at me, I'm okay with that. I get it, I get it. :)

I've been absent for good reasons, I assure you. Mostly, busy reasons, but I'll spare you the whole "Sorry guys! My life is insanely busy" speech that I seem to always preach.

That said, WHAT THE HECK IS UP Y'ALL!? Most of you know I am still alive because you might follow me on instagram. (You can follow me here if you'd like.)

So what's been good guys!?

I've been (insert another word besides busy here). Between work, my photography business (shooting weddings, photo sessions, computers breaking, cable modems crapping out, family visiting, baby shower planning, blogger meet-ups, a new gym membership, birthday dinners, re-editing 1000's of photos that I lost (lesson learned) (and by lost I mean I had the originals backed up, but just not the recent re-edited ones, don't you worry), life, I've been really really sleep deprived and sick a lot of days. Fatigue really does a number on your mind, body, and soul. I really am in dire need of a vacation, but it's wedding season and my wallet thinks otherwise. You win some, you lose some right!?

Right now, I'm in a very weird place. I don't really know how to describe it but I guess that saying, "I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place" sums it up best. I'm in a transitional spot in life where it's time to either take leaps of faith and risk it all...or stay in a comfortable spot that I know I'll be okay in, but not happy in. It's really hard because life is scary. Things are scary. Taking leaps are freaking scary.

There is so much going on in my life that I want to share, but I can't yet. Everyone has hardships, some are worse than others, and I'm not saying that mine are AWFUL. They just aren't ideal and me and ideal don't always agree with one another. I'm impatient (yes DDHP, I can admit that) and I want things, and I want them now. I used to always say, "I need a lot of money, and I need it FAST." Well, that has to make you laugh right? Because unfortunately life doesn't work that way for everyone and you have to work your ass off to get what you want in life. And sometimes, even when you work your ass off, you fall short in other areas, and that's where it comes down to the words, 1) Prioritizing 2)Organization and 3)Faith.

Every single day I have something going on. Honestly, I haven't had a day in the last year and a half that I haven't felt stressed or anxious. I'm a "YES" person and I like to please. It's in my blood and I've just come to terms that I will always be this way. It makes me who I am, but I also know that I have to be able to balance myself. Right now I am so all over the place, I'm not even making sense to myself, or to those around me. You should SEE these bags under my eyes! Haha. I know that I have A LOT I need to work on, both personally and professionally. However, in order to do that, I have to make changes in my life. Some may be good changes (hopefully more of these than bad), some risky changes, some really freaking scary changes, some changes that I will get judged for (oh well), and some changes that I just HAVE to make in order to be the person I want to be.

Over the next two months, you will hopefully get more insight on this. Trust me, I am dying to ellaborate. There are just a few things I need to sort out first. :)

But first things first.

Step number one?

PRIORITIZE.

I don't know about you, but I'm one of those people that have...and I mean HAVE to have things clean around my house in order to get ANYTHING DONE. It's absolutely a pain in my rear. HOWEVER, I'm like this with a lot of things. If everything isn't in it's place, and that nasty little word, CLUTTER is anywhere around me, I can't concentrate. It's simple as that. And don't for one second think that my house is spick and span clean bahaha, because it's def. not. That would mean I would have to have TIME to do that, and all I've done lately is WORK, WORK, WORK.

Here are a few things I've done recently (baby steps) that have helped me priortize.

1) Make a list. Not a long list, but a list of THREE things I want to do each day. It can be three big things, three small things, or somewhere in the middle. No matter what I put down on that list, it HAS to be done before I go to bed.


2) Clean out your inbox.
This is easier said than done. Mine still has about 500 e-mails I haven't even been able to look at (mostly blog comments and you have NO idea how much it bothers me that I haven't responded to each comment, I swear I read them and smile, laugh and appreciate them all). <----I mean that. One thing I've done this past week is unsubscribe to e-mails. You know...those Victoria Secret, J.Crew, Living Social e-mails that come in ALL the time? I unsubscribed to them all and it feels awesome. (Not groupon though haha).


3. From here on out, every 1st of the month, I am going to make goals for myself. Just monthly goals. Anywhere from teeny tiny things I want to change, to maybe completing a book, or finish three wedding edits. It can be the smallest to the biggest things, but most importantly, IDEAL. I'm still adjusting to that word okay? :)


Alright, well I guess I should get going. I've pretty much rambled my heart out. If you have any advice, or insight on prioritizing...I'm all ears. What are your tricks to the trade?! Please share because I need ALL the help I can get. :)

I will be posting more as I have my computer back, but not until I'm caught up on some work. PRIORITIZE. PRIORITIZE. :)

Love y'all so much. (

post circle 15 comments :

  1. Great post, very insightful! I cant wait to see where this path leads you! We all need to take a leap every now and then!

    I have seemed to surprise myself with things in life that I never imagined going through. Take a minute and be proud of who you are today and think back to how far you have come!

    Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-)

    you make me happy and make me want to push myself to do more. I love that even though you are really busy, you still manage to be so freakin awesome!!!!!! you always figure things out :-) you will be okay my little mamacita!!!!!

    think of a relaxing weekend in boston!!

    oh and im pretty excited for your future endeavors because i kiiiiiiiiinda know what they are :-) if its the same stuff we talked about before! therefore i am JELLY!!

    big things poppin!! love you chicka
    xoxoxo

    ps: did you read kelle hamptons post about her mini bucket lists each week?! reminds me of your monthly goal list and i LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO glad you are back. I totally get the taking the leap and risking or staying comfortable and not happy. Hardest decision ever. I'll pray for you, and I'm sure you will make the right one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO glad you are back. I totally get the taking the leap and risking or staying comfortable and not happy. Hardest decision ever. I'll pray for you, and I'm sure you will make the right one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl if I didnt prioritize and make lists I would self destruct. I had my 3 week old baby on a schedule for goodness sake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm dying on you to elaborate. I love lists. I have a 101 in 1001 goal list, a list of goals for the spring (I'll change them for the summer), my goals for the year, etc. I also have goals for the day...like clean the bathroom, do the laundry, and update my website. Just little things to see progress.

    Can't wait to hear about more of your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. giiirrlll you do what you have to make yourself right!

    i am a people pleaser to the core and often times i say yes to WAY more than i can handle. i just want everyone to be happy...but what about me? what about you?!?

    i try to do the weekly goal list for myself but don't get mad at myself for now finishing them (although most of the time i do finish because i rush through at the end of the week). i know i'll get to them sooner or later but i am going to try not to lose sleep over it.

    i am excited for your new unknown (to us) endeavors! good luck and just follow your heart, you'll never go wrong! :)

    believing in laughter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shay Bay Bay!!! My luuuuuva!! You are such a doll and a wonderful person and you know what...?? Wonderful things happen to wonderful people.

    You know what else? Good things are coming you're way! I {think} I know what all you're referring to {for the most part} and if that's the case girlfriend you better get ready to hold on for dear life cuz yo.are.going.places!!

    Mark my word!!

    I love you munchkin! Be patient and know that all of this that you're feeling right now will all be worthwhile. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh-and don't feel obligated to reply to my comment. I know you already love me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hang in there lady...whatever you are going through, praying it will pass and you can go back to that place of "yes" (so bethenny of me!). I'm in a season of my life where I am overwhelmed, mostly because of the house projects and lots of work travel but I try to tell myself it is so much better to actually have things going on than nothing at all. You are such a talented photographer and cannot wait to see where your business goes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am also in a transitional phase in my life as I just graduated from college! I don't have a job yet but I am looking furiously! I love your three things to do list as well as your monthly goals! Good Luck on your transitioning!

    -Elissa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I aboslutely adore you and I am SO lucky that I get to talk to you everyday! Thank you MAKE TIME FOR LIL OL ME!!

    I love you! THank you for being such an amazing support system. Sistah from another mistah. LOVE YOU GIRL!

    I am so happy you are focusing on your career, just make sure you take time for yourself! Love you boo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for such an inspirational post!! I love this!! Try to take a deep breath!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Making lists and prioritizing is what keeps me sane (most days). I'm the same way that if my house is cluttered so is my mind.

    Good luck with whatever you have going on, hope everything is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  15. shay-schmuffin you may be be busy but you are one of the most incredible and driven people i know! praying for you sweet friend that everything will go to comfortable AND happy! you and DDHP deserve the BEST!!

    love you thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssss much and i can't wait to see IRL NEXT MONTH! hair is totally standing on edge!!

    MUAH!

    ReplyDelete