post circle

Opening Weekend.

11.05.2010

Photobucket


Deer season is officially in order starting this evening. Also meaning I will technically be "husband-less" for the next month or so. After work we are headed to the middle of nowhere for a weekend in the woods, fires, smores, chattin', & eatin'. Oh, and I'm sure someone will "catch" a deer as I like to call it.

I know, I know, It's kind of sad. Okay, REALLY sad. I cried when Bambi's Mom died, so believe me when I say I am not really a fan of hurting animals. I am such an animal lover, but when I met my husband it was something I had to accept. It's not that I didn't ever really "accept" it, because I am from a teeny tiny town in Texas (population 800) that is also very country, and well, people down here go deer huntin'. I guess I just never had thought about it too much, and I had never been before...until last year.

When Andrew and I first started dating, I went to the deer lease with him, but I never actually went to the stand and "hunted." I would sleep in and hang out with his Mom while he and his Dad did the deer "catchin". (I am totally talkin' hick in this post because I feel it's appropriate and I want to add to that stereotype of Texas for yuh. Haha, totally kidding.) :)

Anyway, last year I went to Andrew's stand with him, and little did I know that we had to be quiet. I also had perfume on, which is a big no no, and I'm one of those people who are constantly adjusting in their chair. I can never get too comfortable so everytime I'd re-adjust my rear, or cross my legs, or lean on one side, the chair would CREEEEEEEEEEAK. Trust me, it's LOUD out in those woods. So, after two times of sitting out there with him for hours of no talking, staring out into a field, we finally spotted a deer. It was a spike. For those of you who don't know what a spike is, it's a deer that basically nobody wants hangin' around on their lease because they only have one antler, or "points" as they call them. Andrew didn't shoot because he wanted to wait until he saw the big 10 point that had been spotted in the woods earlier by other hunters around the lease.

Okay, okay, I'm getting to my point. After we got back that morning and told everyone about the spike, everyone insisted that if he saw it again to just go ahead and shoot it. So that night, we pack our things, and we head out. We sit there for awhile, and I'm alert looking for a big deer for my baby to shoot.

After about 40 minutes, I think I see something. I point, and Andrew nods. We switch seats real slowly, and he waits for this spike to get close.

Okay, at this moment and time, I'm calm. I'm cool. I'm collected. I'm totally prepared for what's about to happen...

Drew points his gun. I'm still staring, hands covering my ears. The deer is frollicing across the field to get some corn, and then "BOOM!"

I jump. The deer falls over dead. And what happens next!?

That's right. I start bawling like a baby. Tears filled my eyes, and I couldn't stop sobbing for the poor little deer.

I kept saying, "You killed it! (enter crying noises) All he wanted was to get across the field and you killed it!" (Enter more crying)..."What if he has a girlfriend? Or a family!? He looked so happy! All he wanted was some corn and to get to the other side of the field! You killed it!" (Enter even more sobs)...and a little bit of laughter because I completely knew what we were doing out there. It just broke my heart seeing it though. :(

My husband, bless his heart, was excited, but at the same time, telling me he was sorry with a very confused look. He held me and was laughing, but at the same time I could tell he felt bad because he knew I was sad for the poor harmless deer that we both knew was about to die. I just couldn't help but feel remorse.

We laugh about it today, but this year...I think I'll go with him to his stand...but you can bet your bottom I am NOT LOOKING when he pulls the trigger.

Please don't judge me all you animal lovers. I too LOVE my animals.

I just thought this would be a funny story to share. I know my husband is giddy about this weekend, and I know he reads this, so honey, if you are indeed reading this right now, I still love you...Even though you kill Bambi's Mom.

Photobucket

post circle 9 comments :

  1. I just loved this post. So funny. As a girl from the South I too have experienced the deer "catchin'" Thankfully my man has no desire to take part in this sport! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahah i love this. i would like to see deer catching but i don't know if i could ever do it. this made me smile though thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post girl! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On noes! Trust and believe, deer hunting is big here in NC (but I'm glad my hubby isn't a hunter!)...funny story though! lol.
    New follower! such a cute blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe it is deer season already! It's a big thing in Texas :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh my, this was too funny! I have no doubt that I TOTALLY would have started crying too!! I don't deer hunt because they're too much like my four-legged kittens ;-) But I do duck hunt. I always feel a little sad when I shoot one, but it's still fun! Good for you for going out to the deer stand with your hubby! My husband is going deer hunting in a few weeks, but he's not an avid deer hunter. We're in Minnesota and opener was yesterday and the mall was PACKED with single women-- no men (other than mine ;-)) What part of the US are you in, if you don't mind me asking? Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and ps-- when I go duck hunting I refuse to take off my diamond studs even though the husband says that the sparkle scares away the ducks, hahaha!! ;-) He calls me hunter barbie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah I could never go hunting. I mean, I'll eat meat but I don't want to see it die! I think I would have started crying too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, thanks for the comments girls.

    @ Kelly! LOL! I've never been duck hunting, but I know a lot of people that go. I too wear my diamonds ;) There is no shame in being a hunter barbie ;) Also, I live in Texas! :)

    ReplyDelete